Cocotella: One of Your Favourite Treats, Only Healthier!
Who doesn’t love a good hazelnut spread? It’s delicious on toast, with crackers, pancakes or, for the more indulgent, even on its own, right out of the bottle!
But there’s usually a catch, as most commonly available hazelnut spreads are packed full of refined sugar and unhealthy fats. However, we at Wichy, have been hard at work engineering an as-delicious-and-delectable, healthy alternative; Wichy Organic Cocotella.
It’s a Sri Lankan coconut-based hazelnut spread that’s both natural and healthy, while also being 100% certified organic. Cocotella has a great coconutty flavour and is perfectly bound with cocoa and hazelnut to match the smooth, rich and incredibly delicious flavour and texture you’re used to, but in a much healthier form.
Why Cocotella is Healthier
The fat source used in Cocotella is pure organic virgin Sri Lankan coconut oil, which is blended with the finest quality cocoa and hazelnuts for the best taste. Even the sweetener used in Wichy Organic Cocotella is organic Sri Lankan coconut syrup, which is much healthier than ordinary refined sugar and other processed sweeteners. In fact, coconut syrup is a low GI (glycaemic index) sweetener, which means its impact on the insulin response, and thus blood sugar levels, is lower than refined sugar and many other sweeteners.
These organic ingredients are skilfully blended together to create the smooth silky texture that we all love, and then pasteurized and hot-filled into glass jars for a naturally long shelf life. In fact, Wichy Organic Cocotella contains no soy, dairy, gluten or other potential allergens, except of course for hazelnuts. It also contains zero cane sugar or any other artificial sweeteners or preservatives. Plus, being packaged in glass jars reduces the risk of any toxins from plastic packaging, while also being more environmentally responsible. Cocotella is also suitable for both vegetarians and vegans.
Health Benefits of Cocotella
Given that two of the primary ingredients in Cocotella, organic virgin coconut oil and coconut syrup, are derived from Sri Lankan coconuts, which are organically grown and ethically harvested on Sri Lankan coconut estates, the health benefits of Cocotella are many. All, without compromising on the characteristic flavour of hazelnut spreads that we have come to love.
Benefits of Virgin Coconut Oil
Sri Lankan coconut oil contains some very healthful ingredients including lauric acid, myristic acid, palmitic acid, monounsaturated fats, polyunsaturated fats, plant sterols and medium-chain triglycerides. This means coconut oil can help:
- Boost Good Cholesterol – Studies have shown that coconut oil has the potential to both, lower LDL (bad cholesterol) and boost HDL (good cholesterol) levels in the blood.
- Promote Weight Loss – Lauric acid, a saturated fat found in coconut oil, in fact in the largest quantities in a natural source, is known to be quickly metabolized in the liver into energy, instead of being stored as fat. There is also potential for lauric acid to increase metabolism, which also promotes weight loss.
- Prevent and Manage Alzheimer’s Disease – There is scientific evidence to show that some of the compounds present in coconut oil have the potential to reduce the risk and manage the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease, and cognitive degeneration overall.
- Improve Skin and Nail Health – Consumption and topical application of virgin coconut oil has been demonstrated to help with skin and nail health.
- Reduce Acne and Inflammation – Plenty of research demonstrates the effectiveness of coconut oil as an anti-inflammatory agent and as a treatment for acne, due to its very high concentration of antioxidants and other naturally restorative compounds.
Benefits of Coconut Syrup
Sri Lankan coconut syrup is made from the sap found inside coconut flowers. The process of making coconut syrup is a traditional art that dates back potentially thousands of years in Sri Lanka. To date, coconut syrup is produced in a sustainable and environmentally-friendly way and is a renewable resource.
The primary benefit of coconut syrup is its low glycaemic index (GI), which means it has a lower impact on blood glucose levels than other sweeteners. To illustrate, coconut syrup has a GI of 35, while cane sugar has a GI of between 58 and 65, and corn syrup has a GI of 87!
This delicious, all-natural sweetener is also packed with 17 of the 20 amino acids essential for human survival, along with plenty of vitamins and minerals including zinc, copper, boron, iron, calcium, manganese, potassium and Vitamin B.
All of these benefits make Wichy Organic Cocotella a healthy way to enjoy the treats you love, while not compromising on flavour, texture or that magical experience of hazelnut spread!